I'm now another year older. 27. I'm closer to 30 than I am to 20. I'm at that age where girls begin to fear being single for life. I remember once, my uncle Godfrey told me that if I didn't find a man soon I would be "left on the shelf". Ha ha. That one stayed with me to this day. I'm thankful that I did find, not only SOMEONE, but THE ONE. But beyond that, I'm now 27. Where has the time gone? I am so far from where I thought I would be but the funny thing is that I'm pretty happy.
Let me tell you about Labor Day weekend. Gib (the one) came to visit for 10 days. His flight landed at about 1 am on Sept 2nd. He came with his good friend, Aun. I took them to my brother's club (Club Element) and we had a really good time. Since the bar was closed when we got there after 2 am, we stayed until the club closed and then we spent some time and drank with my brother and the staff. It was fun.
We went home and hit the beds. The next morning we woke up, Gib went to get a haircut, I packed the bags and food, and we set out on the long journey via the Turnpike to South Beach Miami! What a fun drive! We listened to my iPod play list that consisted of lots of reggae and calypso music that I knew the guys would like. We got to Miami around 4:30 pm and went right to the hotel to check in. It was a beautiful hotel (The Conrad Miami - A Hilton hotel) and I would recommend it to anyone. Very classy and romantic. Check out the pics!

We decided to meet up with one of Gib's friends, Dave, that recently moved from NJ to Miami. He was staying with his sister on South Beach. He met us on Collins Avenue and we decided to find a spot to eat on Ocean Ave. Amazingly, we found an awesome parking spot! It was right on the avenue and right in front of the restaurant we chose to eat at. We sat outside and ordered drinks and appetizers. Gib ordered the calamari and Aun and Dave decided to share some fried alligator. Alligator?!?! Gib wouldn't have any dealings with it! I, on the other hand, decided to be a little adventurous. The guys kept saying it tasted like chicken so why not? I decided to taste it, just to say I did. I took a bite of the alligator. They were right! It did taste like chicken. But I decided not to finish my piece. There was just something about knowing I was eating alligator. It turned me off. I tried to coax Gib into eating a piece but he refused. I then tasted one ring of his calamari and decided to just hold off for my Alfredo chicken and broccoli. Towards the end of the meal, I started to feel a little strange. My tongue was itching a little and I was getting these sharp pains right below my chest area. I got up, left the guys at the table and went to the car to get some cold air. Gib kept an eye on me from the table and eventually came to check on me. I was worse. My lips were swollen and the pain in my chest area was getting worse. We decided it would be best to take me to the hospital. Turns out I'm allergic to alligator or calamari! I have had calamari many times before but it has been a while. I am still not sure which one is the problem. We stopped at a CVS and bought some Benadryl. I swallowed down a couple of pills but the chest pains were worrying me. We called my mom and of course she started to worry and called everyone she knew in Miami. My phone rang all night. After an adventure of trying to get to a hospital in the traffic of south beach, we finally rolled up at Mt. Sinai on South Beach. They gave me an IV and a myriad of liquid drugs to fill it; Steroids to open my breathing passageways, anti-histamines, saline, etc. I had to pee in a cup and have my heart monitored. Poor Gib stayed with me all night and fell asleep at the foot of my bed. His two friends left and went to a party. I didn't mind because I hated to feel as if I ruined their night. Of course Gib stayed all night. He had no choice really, because I had the car! But I know he would have stayed regardless. We left the hospital after 2am and I felt much better. We went right back to the hotel, I showered, and we went to bed. The next morning I felt great! Below is a picture of the alligator culprit!!
The next morning we decided to go to the gym for a little bit before we went out.That was probably a bad idea for me because my chest started hurting again and I had to stop. Gib got in some weight training and we decided to go to the beach. We picked up Aun and Dave and brought them back to the hotel so Aun could get showered and headed to the beach. Dave took us to a nice little spot at the back of a hotel that opened out onto the beach. There was a bar and a pool and a D.J. We ordered some chicken wings and cheese sticks. We weren't impressed but we were hungry! We went to the beach and flung ourselves on the beach chairs. We all ventured into the water for a little bit but the water was too salty for my tastes. Back at the beach chairs, the guys entertained myself and themselves by dancing to Gib's music on his phone. We made a couple of videos. It was fun!
Gib and I left the guys at the beach so that we could go back to the hotel and get ready to meet my Aunt, Uncle and some other family that wanted to see us. We met them at the Bayside mall and ate some food and ice cream. We walked around a little and then said goodbye to them. It was nice to introduce Gib to some more of the family.
After that, we got Aun and headed to a club called Big Fish to party a little. Big fish was literally 2 minutes away from our hotel. It was only a couple of streets down. I was relieved that we didn't choose a club on south beach that would have forced us to deal with a lot of traffic, parking issues, and crowds. Aun met up with a friend of his and he didn't feel like a third wheel! We had fun and listened to some great music that night!
The next morning we checked out of the hotel and headed towards south beach to walk around. Before we got to the beach, Gib and I decided to drive through one of the gated areas that had million dollar houses, Star Island. We had to get special permission from the guard to let us in. We imagined what kinds of stars and famous people lived in those huge houses. The guards told us not to get out of the car but of course we did! We looked like tourists but it was so much fun!
When we got to Ocean Avenue we parked and walked around a little. We ate ice cream, sat and talked, and walked on the beach for a short while. We waited a long while for Aun's friend to drop him off to meet us. As we were waiting, Gib noticed Talib Kweli walk by the car. I didn't believe him because I would have never recognized him but we followed him in my car as he walked down the avenue and stopped him to verify his identity. "Excuse me. Are you Talib Kweli?", I said. "Yes" he said. "Can my girlfriend take a picture with you?", Gib said. "OK, but I'm in a hurry", he said. I jumped out of the car and Gib snapped a picture. I was star struck but I played it cool! I only felt sorry that I didn't get a picture of Gib and him. :( We finally found Aun and headed home to Orlando.
One the way home, both Gib and Aun slept almost the whole way and I tried my hardest to stay awake. The rain poured and I entertained myself with my mood music and some of the more eccentric albums that I wouldn't have played for the guys if they were awake. I listened to Bob Marley, Sarah McLaughlin, Matisyahu, and Thievery Corporation. We made it home in just over 3 hours. We made excellent time!
Upon our arrival, mom had prepared a great meal of curry, BBQ chicken, lamb, rice, and lots more. We feasted and then went upstairs to relax. My brother then came home and took the guys with him to the club. They were having an after party for some car show and a couple of artists were supposed to be there. I was a little relieved to get some time alone to shower, relax, and clean my room. It was a mess. I then got dressed and headed to Element to meet them. We had a fun night. We got to meet Red Rat and the guys went on stage behind Sean Kingston as he performed. We took pictures and went into V.I.P. I was glad that the guys had a good time. In just a couple of hours we had to take Aun to the airport for his flight back home. When we got home from the club we were all exhausted. Everyone passed out and about two hours later my alarm rang to wake us up. It was very hard to wake up. Our bodies almost couldn't take it. Unfortunately, for me, I had to drive while the guys continued their sleep in the car. Lucky me! We managed to get Aun to the airport on time and off he went, back to NJ. I think he had a good weekend. As for me and Gib, we headed right back to the house to SLEEP!!! I was happy I still had him for seven more days until I would have to take that same drive to the airport to drop him off :)


No comments:
Post a Comment